Starring: Eliza Roberts, Saul Kahan, and directed by John Landis
![]() |
| Monkeying around. |
Landis made this to be purposefully trashy, as a satire with low brow gags and non sequiturs in every scene. It's not as good as the classics by Mel Brooks, but still has moments where it can get some laughs, even if it's out of sheer audacity.
The killer ape, which we learn is actually the missing link named Shlockthropus, turns out to be the star of the movie. We follow him around town as he looks for food, catches a movie at the theater, and makes friends with a blind girl. Occasionally he murders someone for no reason, reminding us that he's just a wild beast, but still the most likeable character in the movie.
![]() |
| The gorilla my dreams. |
![]() |
| Sgt. Wino on the case. |
Despite all the chaos and slapstick, it's not too exhausting to endure the constant satire, but you will feel a bit bananas at the end.
The creature makeup looks pretty good, as this was one the first films that legend Rick Baker worked on. John Landis himself wears the costume through the whole movie.
Sorry about the puns, I've been schlocked!
Be sure not to miss:
- The cop was reading Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons.
- I like how the reporter never shakes hands.
Internet review:
"This movie did something to me, something subversive. (I can't remember what, exactly, but it was really something.)" - enigmann
Should I watch it?
It's weird and trashy, but has earned a cult following for good reason.
Where can I find it?
It was hard to track down, but this video does work. At first it looks like it crashes, but give it a sec.
Schlock gets...





No comments:
Post a Comment