"Meat's meat, and a man's gotta eat!" - Vincent
Friendly farmers enjoy the finer things about harvesting human meat.
Starring: Rory Calhoun, Nina Axelrod, Nancy Parsons, Paul Linke
Link to IMDB
Vincent Smith and his sister Ida have a pig farm in the country where they are locally famous for selling the tastiest smoked meats at their cozy little motel. One night, a suspicious motorcycle crash leaves a young lady named Terry stranded at the motel. Vincent and Ida treat her like family, helping her heal and cope with her pain, and even the Sheriff (who is Vincent's brother) agrees the girl should rest on the farm awhile.
![]() |
| Vincent and Ida Smith |
The movie has been building spooky vibes and it's not long before we see what's really happening on the farm. The Smith family have been causing vehicle accidents on the highway in order to collect living people for their cannibalistic tastes!! *Dun-dun-dunnnnn*
Vincent truly likes Terry, so she'll be safe for now, but his other victims are "planted" alive in the ground and fed until they're ripe and ready to become a tasty meat snack! It's a truly morbid and nasty garden of death, but there's a touch of comedy through the movie which creates a perverse and dark humorous vibe.
"Sometimes I wonder about the karmic implications of these actions." - Vincent
![]() |
| Terry |
![]() |
| Sheriff Smith |
A lot happens in this movie, but it usually doesn't advance the story anywhere. Thankfully, the main characters are fun to watch even though they are murderous weirdos. It's slow but steady as they capture new victims for the slaughter, yet the movie remains entertainingly quirky, grisly and always surprising me with its eccentricities.
More conflict eventually arises, as the two brothers have different plans for the innocent Terry...
Things gets weird.
I'm not really sure what the intended tone was supposed to be because it shifts so often. It's trashy and disturbing one moment, and then corny satire the next. It doesn't all work, but there's no denying the genuine aura of demented creepiness and gleeful creativity here. Rory Calhoun's great performance also helped earn the movie's cult status.
Clearly an inspiration for some of Texas Chainsaw 2, this is the type of movie that requires a bit of off-kilter degeneracy from its audience, so of course I felt right at home.
Be sure not to miss:
- Only $2.95 for all that meat! I don't care what it's made of, that's a good deal.
- I want one of those fake cows.
- Notable cameos, John Ratzenberger and Wolfman Jack.
Internet review:
"It took me a while to gel with this offbeat dance, but about 30 minutes in I was waltzing with it
like Fred Astaire on PCP." - ArrowMan
Should I watch it?
Fun and weird enough to warrant a viewing. (even Roger Ebert liked it!)
Where can I find it?
Links here.
Motel Hell gets...






No comments:
Post a Comment