17/03/2016

Double Trouble (1992)


"I don't take any steroids, and I don't take any shit!" - David

Twin brothers on opposites sides of the law are forced to work together to stop diamond thieves.
Starring: David Paul, Peter Paul, Roddy McDowall, Bill Mumy

Link to IMDB

Peter Jade is a small time burglar, with a preference for stealing diamonds from high-tech vaults. He's not a bad guy, he just loves the thrill of stealing from big corporations so he can buy himself nice swag. He also does it just to annoy his twin brother, David, who happens to be a hot-headed cop! These two muscle bound bros do not like each other. David despises Peter's criminal life, and when Peter isn't in jail he enjoys driving David mad by outsmarting the police.
There has been a series of mafia related diamond heists in the city, and Peter becomes a target when he inadvertently steals some evidence that belongs to a mafia boss named Chamberlain. Peter then gets busted by the police, but that leads into the main story, which is David's boss assigning Peter to be his new partner. No way!? Yes way!

Peter and David... Or is it David and Peter ?

The evidence that Peter has will be an asset in stopping the mafia, but David is furious that he has to work with his wild thieving brother. Despite the friction between the two, they work together and slowly build trust as they get closer to finding Chamberlain. The movie delivers the fights and action you'd expect in a cop movie, but we also get a lot of really stupid comedy.

Chamberlain

It starts sensible enough, but the movie eventually decides to embrace more immature elements. I was getting some laughs, but it's not exactly great comedy here because it's just too damn stupid, and mostly relies on physical gags and juvenile insults. I guess that's to be expected with a low-budget buddy movie, but some restraint would have helped it be a bit more enjoyable through the second half.
The last act tries to get back to the more serious tone set before, but by then it's all drop-kicks, hamburgers and upside down cars.
Roddy McDowell makes a pretty great villain. He chews the scenery every chance he gets, fitting alongside the more inexperienced actors nicely.


Unfortunately, the movie doesn't live up to its potential, and often devolves into nonsensical ideas with cartoon music being played instead of delivering the crime plot. Oh god, the music! At first the silly music is a treat, with it's classic late 80's action synths and swanky guitars laying the cheese on thick, but halfway through it becomes an obnoxious crowbar in your ear!
I must be seeing double !
The Paul brothers can be charming and funny at times, so I'll definitely have to find some of their other movies to watch.

Be sure not to miss:
- "The g-forces are killing me!"  Yes, there are some good one-liners to enjoy.
- Peter's funny cat graffiti.
- Nice to see James Doohan with a small role, and David Carradine is here too!
- A sink as a litter box? Madness or genius?

Internet review:
"Empty, stupid, ridiculous, and most importantly, entertaining." - Rigney

Should I watch it?
It does work as some very stupid comedy.
I think I made the mistake of watching it alone, so it's probably better with back-up.

Where can I find it?
Links here.

Double Trouble gets...

No comments:

Post a Comment