01/06/2015

The Legend of Billie Jean (1985)


"We didn't start this, we didn't mean it to happen, but we're not givin' up til you pay. Fair Is Fair!" 
- Billie Jean

Texas teenager Billie Jean Davy becomes an outlaw martyr when she and her friends get caught up in a fight for justice.
Starring: Helen Slater, Christian Slater, Yeardley Smith, Peter Coyote, Keith Gordon

Link to IMDB

I'm surprised I never saw this until now, because The Legend of Billie Jean is a real classic 80's movie. It has a competent and powerful story with fully realized characters, themes and social commentary. After the painful viewing of My Uncle, The Alien I needed something with substance, and this delivered with quality.


When Billie Jean and her brother have their scooter vandalized by local bullies, she wants to let everyone know that this will not be tolerated anymore. Unfortunately, the bully's father is also a terrible man, and when an accidental shooting occurs, Billie Jean and her friends become fugitives as they run from the law. These kids might be scared, but they're also left feeling angry and forsaken.

After the media starts following her story, Billie Jean becomes a celebrity, a hero, and a voice for an entire generation of kids that feel pushed around. Teens start idolizing her, and come together in solidarity to protect her until she gets her justice. The scene where Billie Jean rescues an abused boy from his home is a nice touch, and gives her the realization that her actions have consequences and she has a responsibility to her friends and family. Peter Coyote is excellent as the cool headed Lt. Ringwald, as he tries to find the gang and understand what happened before anyone else gets hurt.


"Where is Billie Jean!?"  - Lt. Ringwald
"Everywhere."  - Ophelia


Although not delivered as serious as Pump up the Volume or The Breakfast Club, it still explores similar mature themes about media and identity, and honestly portrays what teenagers go through in a world ruled by adults. The comparison I made in my mind was part Bonnie and Clyde and part The Wizard.
Joan of Arc is also directly referenced numerous times, and it draws a valid analogy. Legends are born through personal tragedy and triumph, but are still vulnerable to the dangers of the world around them. Billie Jean has to fight for what she believes in, and I was fully committed to stick with her the whole time.

My only small complaint with the movie is that the ending could have been stronger. It's still fine, and I like how they didn't shy away from the loss of innocence themes, but I can't help but feel that the writers kept it a bit too safe and easy.

Be sure not to miss:
- When Putter has her period in the middle of a car chase, it's just celebrated as a wonderful part of growing up. Girl power!
- So many good snacks!
- Despite the same last name, Helen and Christian are not related.
- Be prepared to get Pat Benatar's Invincible stuck in your head.

Internet review:
"Going to the darkest places of your soul and returning stronger, and with a kick ass hair cut."  - bmovieart

Should I watch it?
Yes! Go rent it tonight!

Where can I find it?
I used this video but there are many links to be found. It's very popular, and since its BluRay release can be found easily.

The Legend of Billie Jean gets...

No comments:

Post a Comment