"Where's my beer and when do I get paid?" - John
John Canyon is one of the last independent space truckers hauling cargo around the solar system, but his latest shipment ends up being something that space pirates and space politicians both want to get their evil hands on.
Starring: Dennis Hopper, Stephen Dorff, Debi Mazar, Charles Dance
Link to IMDB
When a movie is called Space Truckers and stars Dennis Hopper, you know it's a movie that you just have to see! My initial concern was that Hopper would not actually be the main character, and instead the younger Stephen Dorff would get to do all the heroic stuff. But, no! Hopper takes center stage, and carries the whole movie through as the gruff anti-hero, John Canyon.
![]() |
| Space aces ! |
![]() |
| Space villain ! |
Charles Dance is terrific as the twisted villain. It's a real treat to see him fully embrace playing such a creepy guy, and he gets some hilarious material to work with. Being a fan of him in Game of Thrones makes his performance here even more enjoyable, because he really gets to have fun with the character and steals the show.
All of the special effects look great too, despite not having the biggest budget behind them. They really showcase some good makeup, miniatures, costumes, and even creative camera tricks to give the illusion of zero gravity. There's a few places where cheap CGI is used (it is 1996 after all,) but it only adds to the cheesy mood that the movie was aiming for.
"If I had an anus, I'd probably soil myself." - Macanudo
It's all good fun until the last 20 minutes. One big firefight with the pirates was more than enough, but then they also have to deal with all the robots which begins to get tiring. I just wanted them to hurry up and get to Earth because everyone had stopped being interesting. And then the forgettable politician still had to wrap up his plot line! It's a weak ending to an otherwise very enjoyable movie.
Be sure not to miss:- Why did they introduce the mom at very the last minute? What?
- There's a few good cameos to see, like Mike Hagerty and Vernon Wells
- The same director as the classics, Re-Animator and From Beyond
- Square pigs!
Internet review:
"Cliche filled and cheesy, sure, but this is FIRST CLASS CHEESE here." - Jakealley
Should I watch it?
Recommended. And where else will you ever see square pigs!?
Where can I find it?
Primewire has some good links, and I think it's on Netflix
Space Truckers gets...




No comments:
Post a Comment