08/05/2015

Stranger by Night (1994)


"You wanna know if I beaten up anyone in a mad rage!? The answer is yes!"  - Bobby Corcoran

Two detectives are on the hunt for a vicious serial killer, but Detective Bobby Corcoran is having blackouts and memory loss. As they pursue the case, we uncover a bunch of evidence suggesting that they're both idiots.
Starring: Steven Bauer, William Katt, Michele Greene, and Not Andy Dick

Link to IMDB

Uhhh, wanna get a beer ?
This movie drags a bunch of 80's clichés kicking and screaming into the 90's. It's a murder mystery on the surface, but with sloppy fist-fighting to provide the action and a cheesy black and white music video sprinkled throughout to provide emotional resonance...or something. I found myself yelling, "Fuck it, get to the murders!" more than once.
To its credit, the movie does do a good job of introducing new twists and keeping you guessing until the very end.
The most standout character is Bobby's sleazy partner, Troy. He lives on hot dogs, dresses like a pimp and always has bad advice.
* sniff *



As the case moves along, everyone we meet seems to be just as bizarre as Troy. They all want to either sleep with our hero or fight our hero, there is little room for any middle ground. There's the horny neighbor, the angry boss, the horny therapist, the angry thug, and a guy that looks a lot like Andy Dick.
Thankfully, these wacky characters really bring some levity amongst the constant melodramatic flashbacks and dead hookers being found.
I also noticed a lot of plants getting wrecked through the movie.
I guess the fern economy was pretty fast and loose back in 1994.


"What can I say? I like salami, I just eat it with the skin on."
- Neighbor Lisa, flirting

The lovely Lisa
Not Andy Dick


Be sure not to miss:
- The police boss is Michael Parks
- Not one, but two chase scenes on ladders. Who thought that would be interesting?
- All that 90's fashion.
This moment killed me



Internet review:
"The best part about it was the sex"  - Forgottenretroworlds79

Should I watch it?
When you're drunk. I definitely laughed more than I thought I would.

Where can I find it?

On YouTube and likely other places.

Stranger by Night gets...

No comments:

Post a Comment